Before Your Appointment
- It is imperative that you avoid sun exposure and tanning beds for at least 4 weeks prior to your treatment. This is a must and no exceptions will be made.
- Avoid applying self-tanner for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Wait 2 weeks after Botox injections and 4 weeks after fillers before your IPL treatment
- Avoid aspirin and Ibuprofen for one week prior to your treatment. Inform the doctor if you are taking blood thinners or regularly take aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Inform the doctor if have taken Accutane (oral acne medication) in the past year.
The Day Of Your Appointment
- If possible, arrive without creams or make-up on the treatment area. If topical numbing cream will be applied, please arrive 15-30 minutes early. Cleansing products are available for your convenience.
- Allow 45-90 minutes for your appointment depending on the size of the treatment area.
- Pre-treatment photos will be taken.
- Just prior to treatment, you will be given eye shields to wear to protect your eyes.
What To Do After Your Treatment
- Expect your skin to appear pink (resembling mild sunburn) for a few hours after treatment.
- You may be given a cool compress or cooling gel to apply after treatment.
- Make-up may be applied to cover redness as needed.
What To Expect
- Your skin may be temperature sensitive for several days after treatment.
- Brown spots and freckles will appear darker while healing.
- It will take 4-6 weeks to see the full result and 5 treatments may be required to achieve an optimum result. Some patients require more than 5 treatments, depending on severity of sun damage, wrinkles, and brown spots.
- The sessions are designed to provide no downtime however, occasionally you may find that your cheeks and under eye areas are slightly puffy after treatment. You may use cold compresses (5 minutes on and 10 minutes off) several times an hour to help ease both redness and swelling.
- Blistering and crusting are rare; however, if these do occur a thin layer of over-the-counter antibiotic ointment such as Polysporin® can be applied 2-3 times a day for 3 days. Please call us if you experience either of these uncommon reactions.
- Hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin color) can occur in some skin types. Please call us if you experience this uncommon reaction
- Use the Neostrata Essential Recovery Kit for 3-5 days after treatment to help heal the skin.
- After days 3-5 post-treatment, continue regular BIQ Mild Gel Cleanser or Neostrata Facial Cleanser PHA 4 or Foaming Glycolic Wash AHA 20, or Clarifying Cleanser and Hydrate with BIQ ultra hydrating moisturizer, or Neostrata Bionic Face Serum PHA 10, or Neostrata Bionic Facial Cream PHA12 for skin type. Neostrata Smooth Surface Daily Peel or Neostrata Perfecting Peel, or BIQ Cell Regeneration, Buffing Granules, Glycolic Pads 20% may be resumed 1 week post procedure, or when the skin is no longer sensitive.
- Avoid Aspirin, Ibuprofen, alcohol, heavy exertion and activities which may cause flushing for 2 days after treatment
- Avoid harsh topical products such as retinols and glycolic acid products for one week after.
- Avoid direct sunlight on the treated area and use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen of SPF 30 or greater for 4-6 weeks after your treatment. We recommend our Elta MD Line specific to your skin care needs. Elta MD contains Zinc and Titanium Oxide which are the best ingredients for the most effective sunscreen regime.
Maximizing Benefits Of Your Treatment
- Our Nurse Practitioner will review and compose a simple, customized skin care program for you to begin before your treatment as well as once your skin has healed to maintain the desired results. A quality, daily home skin care regime will ensure that you maximize and maintain the benefits of your treatment
For any questions or concerns, please call BIQ Med Spa in The Woodlands at (832) 953-2632. Our after hour emergency phone number is (832)799-8942. In the event of a medical emergency, immediately go to the nearest hospital and/or ER or dial 911.